Thursday, May 20, 2021

Science Experiment


Yesterday, Kea did a science experiment creating cave stalactites and stalagmites to understand how stalactites continue growing through a chemical reaction (a tapering structure hanging like an icicle from the roof of a cave, formed of calcium salts deposited by dripping water)Some groups experimented using baking soda and others used Epsom salts. My group used baking soda and our hypothesis is that we think crystals will grow off the wool.

First, we had to add two heaped tablespoons of baking soda or Epsom
salts to hot water. We watched it fizzle and dissolve.
Next, we needed to stir it to dissolve it. This created a concentrated solution. This made it bubble like a bubble bath!

Afterward, we submerged a piece of twisted wool or paper towel into the solution. Then we placed each end of the wool/paper towel into our solutions and placed a piece of cardboard in between, hanging the wool above the cardboard.
We can't wait to see what's happened tomorrow morning and throughout the week!  I wonder if our hypothesis was correct or not?



4 comments:

  1. Kia ora my name is Santino at Saint Mary's Catholic Primary School.That experiment was really Cool!!! I wonder what is going to happen to the Wool? Ma Te wa
    Santino

    ReplyDelete

  2. Kia ora my name is Shae at Kainere School that experiment was awesome. I wonder what's gonna happen next.I feel like the experiment will be slimey or gooey can you please update your post so i can see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Luke I really like science. I really liked your experiment. I wondered were to find the icicle what cave was it was in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora, my name is Jacob S at saint mary's gisborne. I liked the experiment. You did a great job next time you should do different colours.

    ReplyDelete